Drivers License Information
Individuals who possess a valid foreign driver's license from their country are authorized to drive in Pennsylvania for up to one year from their date of entry into the United States, or upon expiration of their foreign license, whichever comes first. International driving permits are strongly recommended, but not required.
Several states, including PA, require that a nonimmigrant have at least six months remaining on your qualifying immigration document to be eligible for a license.
Renewing Your License after USCIS receives an H-1B, O-1, TN or E-3 Extension Petition:
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org to pick up your original Receipt Notice or to request it by mail (you must provide an address and a phone for the UPS label).
- Visit http://www.dot.state.pa.us/Public/DVSPubsForms/BDL/BDL%20Publications/pub%20195nc.pdf Print out page 7 which states you can use your Extension Petition Receipt notice from USCIS.
- Bring a copy of your current employment offer letter. You can also request an Employment Verification Letter from Human Resources
The Pennsylvania Department of Motor Vehicles no longer requires a verification letter from our office when you are applying for a Driver's License.
- Obtaining a Driver's License or PA State ID
- Pennsylvania Department of Motor Vehicles
- Check your status in SAVE