Most individuals holding dependent status are not permitted to work in the United States. Those individuals holding J-2 Dependent Status are eligible to apply for J-2 work permission through USCIS. F-2 and H-4 individuals may not work unless they have filed for US Permanent Residence and have received work permission from USCIS. These individuals should discuss their situation with an immigration attorney prior to commencing employment.