Conditions For Employment

  • Your spouse must have valid E-3 status as a Temple Employee, and you must hold valid E-3 Dependent status, as shown on your I-94 Arrival/Departure Record card.
  • You may start working when you receive your Employment Authorization Document (EAD) from the US Citizenship and Immigration Service (USCIS) but not before the date listed on the EAD card. 
  • If permission for employment is granted, an Employment Authorization Document (EAD) is issued and is valid for any kind of full-time or part-time employment for the period of time stated on the EAD. There is no legal limit to the amount of money that you may earn.
  • E-3 Spousal Dependent employment authorization is valid only if the E-3 Temple Employee is maintaining status.
  • E-3 employment authorization may not exceed the program expiration date indicated on the principal's Labor Condition Application and I-94.

Completing the Application

  • Download Form I-765
  • You should completely fill in all of the required fields
  • Please check your information carefully; use your full legal name when completing your application.
  • You must sign the Form I-765 in BLUE INK
  • In Section 16, write in the parenthesis (a) (17) ( ) to indicate that you are applying for work permission based on your E-3 status (this is the code for E1/E2 applicants as E3 is not listed as an option)
  • Skip #17 as this does not apply to you

Send the following supporting documents to USCIS:

  • Copy of your passport, I-94 card and E-3 visa stamp
  • Copy of your spouse's passport, I-94 card and E-3 visa stamp
  • Copy of LCA issued on behalf of the principal E-3 visa holder
  • Form I-765 
  • 2 EAD photos with a white background taken no earlier than 30 days before submission to the USCIS.
  • Personal check, certified bank check or money order for current fee, made payable to USCIS in the amount of $410.00 (Make sure that you write your check correctly) 

Send the Complete Application To:

  • For U.S. Postal Service (USPS):
    P.O. Box 660867
    Dallas, TX 75266
  • For FedEx, UPS, and DHL deliveries:
    Attn: NFB AOS
    2501 S. State Hwy. 121 Business
    Suite 400
    Lewisville, TX 75067

Authorization To Work
You may not begin employment until you receive approval from USCIS.  Your authorization to work is valid until the expiration date on the Employment Authorization Document.  You may not work past this date.  If your employment document expires before you have made arrangements to extend it, you must stop working until you receive approval from USCIS that your extension has been granted.

The earnings of E-3 dependents may be subject to applicable federal, state and local taxes; Social Security and employers may be required by law to withhold those taxes from paychecks.  Be sure to discuss this matter with your employer.