TN Status Time Limitations
The maximum period of admission into the U.S is three years when a TN enters at a US Border. There is no limit on the number of years a TN visa holder can stay in the United States. However, the TN visa status is appropriate for an individual who hopes to apply for US permanent residence.
Your immigration documents must remain valid
- Passport valid at least six months into the future
- I-94 admission record for TN status
- Upon U.S. entry, you should get your I-94 admission record online, which will show the date by which you must exit the U.S. after your employment ends. As long as your I-94 end date has not passed and you remain in the position at TU (and/or with any other authorized employers), you will be in TN status. If there are any concerns about the information on the I-94, you should contact Scholar Services to discuss.
- I-797 Approval Notice (if a petition was filed with USCIS)
- For Canadian citizens only: Keep a copy of visa fee payment receipt for TN status for future re-entry into the U.S.
- For Mexican citizens only: A TN visa is needed for travel and re-entry into the U.S. However, a TN visa may be expired if you remain in the U.S.
Extension of Stay
For Canadian or Mexican citizens admitted as a NAFTA Professional may seek an extension of stay, which may be granted up to three years:
- Applicant may apply at a port of entry using the same application and documentation procedures above as required for the initial entry; or
- If the applicant is in the U.S., employer may file Form I-129 Petition for Non-immigrant Worker with USCIS
If your appointment at TU will be extended and you still require TN status, speak to your department administrator about requesting an extension from ISSS 2-3 months in advance of your current end date. TN extension can be obtained through travel or with a petition filed with USCIS. TN employees who extend stats us in the US may continue working for up to 240 days beyond the current TN end date if an extension petition was filed in a timely manner.