Travel letters from Temple Departments can assist non-immigrant scholars and employees in the following ways:
- Ease the visa interview process
- Aid a US Consular Officer decide whether or not a security check (administrative processing) is needed
- Facilitate readmission by a US Customs and Border Protection (CBP) Agent at a US Point of Entry
Specific, standardized guidelines on the exact information that should be included in the letters have not been provided. However, below please find a suggested format and guidance for content if you are asked to write a letter by your a foreign national in your Department.
This letter is different than the Employment and Income Verification Letter available through TUPortal (Staff Tools, Pay & Tax Information). Visit Human Resources' website for details.
[On department, lab, or center letterhead:]
To Whom It May Concern:
- Scholar's name and job title
- Brief job description
- Amount and source of any non-Temple University funding
If the Individual is engaging in research, answer all four questions briefly. If the question does not apply to the applicant, please explain why it is not applicable.
- What are the goals and practical applications of the applicant's research?
- What are the source(s) of funding for the applicant's research?
- What export-controlled technologies and/or information will the applicant have access to during his/her research?
- What U.S. government projects will the applicant participate in or will have access to during his/her research? Please state whether non-U.S. citizens have access to the project.
Be sure to include the following in layman's terms:
- A detailed and non-technical description of the research to be conducted by the scholar and whether it is basic research or applied research. If the research has no military or defense-related purposes, say so
- A detailed description of how the scholar's qualifications match the requirements of the position
- Indicate that the individual is expected to return to Temple University to continue research/employment/training and why a timely return to campus is important to the Department.
- List contact information for the individual's supervisor.
Signature of the Individual's Supervisor