International students are permitted to work on-campus during their academic program without prior work authorization. In addition to on-campus employment, there are two types of off-campus employment for which international students in J-1 status may be eligible (Academic Training and Employment Due to Economic Hardship). Please review more information in detail at the links below.

You may not begin any type of off-campus employment until you have authorization (from ISSS and/or USCIS) to do so. This includes any orientations, training, etc. in which you may be required to engage.

If you are authorized to work, you will need to apply for a Social Security Number