F-2 dependents are permitted to study part-time. This means less than 12 credits at the Undergraduate level and less than 9 credits at the Graduate level per semester. If an F-2 dependent wishes to study full-time, then the student must first change their status to F-1 either through the change of status process with USCIS or by departing the U.S., and applying for an F-1 I-20 and F-1 visa before reentering the U.S. to begin full-time studies.