F-1 /J-1 Students

If you plan to sponsor an international student through a scholarship or assistantship, be prepared to provide ISSS  with the official support letter.  ISSS will need a fully executed contract (graduate students) or the office award letter (undergraduate student with an athletic scholarship).  ISSS will issue the student a Form I-20 or DS-2019 which the student will use to obtain their visa stamp from a U.S. Consulate or Embassy abroad. 

Temple University can provide H-1B sponsorship  for positions that are identified as "specialty" occupations. 

  • (A) theoretical and practical application of a body of highly specialized knowledge
  • (B) attainment of a bachelor's or higher degree in the specific specialty (or its equivalent) as a minimum for entry into the occupation in the United States.

Temple University can sponsor the following J-1 Exchange Visitor Categories:

  • Professor (3-week minimum, 5-year maximum with 24 month bar on repeat participation – teaching, observing, lecturing)
  • Research Scholar (3-week minimum, 5-year maximum with 24 month bar on repeat participation - conducting research, observing, or consulting)
  • Short-term Scholar (no minimum, 6-month maximum, no extensions - 6 month bar on repeat participation - lecturing, conducting research, observing, or consulting)
  • Specialist (3-week minimum, 1 year maximum but not subject to 24-month bar - observing, consulting, or demonstrating his/her highly specialized knowledge or skills)

The O-1 visa is a nonimmigrant employment-based visa classification for foreign nationals who can demonstrate the sustained national or international acclaim and recognition for achievements in the science, education, business or athletics. It requires the employer file a Petition for a Nonimmigrant Worker (Form I-129), along with evidence of the individual's extraordinary ability. The "extraordinary ability in the field of science, education, business, or athletics means a level of expertise indicating that the person is one of the small percentage who have arisen to the very top of the field of endeavor."

Certain Professionals of Canada or Mexico may work in the U.S. under the following conditions:

  • Applicant is a citizen of Canada or Mexico
  • Profession is on the NAFTA list
  • Position in the U.S. requires a bachelor's degree or higher
  • Mexican or Canadian applicant is to work in a prearranged full-time or part-time job, for a U.S. employer
    Self employment is not permitted
  • Professional Canadian or Mexican citizen has the qualifications of the profession  

The E-3 category allows aliens who are nationals of the Commonwealth of Australia to come to the United States to perform services in a "specialty occupation."  This immigration status is similar to H-1B Specialty Occupation Workers, but the E-3 is much easier in many ways if the employee enters the US in E-3 status rather than changing to or extending E-3 status in the U.S.