If the exchange visitor is sponsored by Temple University and the RO/ARO at EV's old school requires Temple to complete a transfer form, please email the form to email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org
If the exchange visitor is sponsored by the Temple University Health System, including FCCC and the RO/ARO at EV's old school requires Temple to complete a transfer form, please email the form to Joan McGinley at email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org
- If the RO/ARO at EV's new school requires Temple University to complete a transfer form, please email the form to email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org
- ISSS must receive a completed and signed J-1 Transfer Out Form before your SEVIS record may be transferred to another J Program Sponsor.
- If the RO/ARO at EV's new school requires the Temple University Health System to complete a transfer form, please email the form to Joan McGinley at email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org
- An The Exchange Visitor (EV) cannot transfer their SEVIS record if they have received a favorable waiver recommendation from the US Department of State.
- EV should not terminate research/teaching activities at current school until the SEVIS record has been released to the new school.
An exchange visitor may transfer between programs as long as:
- The Exchange Visitor (EV) is maintaining J1 status with current program sponsor;
- The purpose of the transfer is to complete the objective, and is consistent with, the goals for which the EV was admitted to exchange visitor status;
- The EV remains within the same participant program category;
- There can be no gap between the transfer effective date set by the transfer-out program and the new program begin date (for example, the last day at the old school is April 2, the first day at the new school must be April 3;
- The transfer will not extend the exchange visitor's stay beyond the permissible time for EV's J-1 category.
Previous Visa Issuance Notes:
An exchange visitor who travels after transferring J programs, or starting a new J program, needs a new J visa before returning to the United States under the sponsorship of the new program. The Foreign Affairs Manual directs consular officers that:
- "A J-1 or J-2 visa must be annotated to show the program number, program dates, and sponsor name of the alien's exchange program, as well as the SEVIS number of the individual" and
- "J-1 visas must be issued for the program dates listed on the Form DS-2019"
- "An exchange visitor must not use any single J visa for a program other than that specified on the annotation, even if that J visa has not yet expired."
EV should contact the Responsible (RO) or Alternate Responsible Officer (ARO) at the new school's International Office for a description of planned activities to show the A/RO at Temple so that they can determine that it is consistent with original EV goals. Before beginning the transfer process, the EV should discuss their plans with the Responsible Officer (RO) or Alternate Responsible Officer (ARO) in both Temple University's ISSS and the new institution's International Office. All the parties involved must agree on the date of transfer.
Once the transfer has been approved by the department, the EV will need to show Temple's ISSS department the new appointment letter, and complete a transfer out form which ISSS will provide. This should ideally be finalized at least two weeks before the transfer date. Please do not wait until the last minute to request a SEVIS transfer.