As an F-1 student, you are required to be registered full-time each fall and spring semester (or session if you are a TCALC student) to maintain your status. The only exception to this rule is if you are eligible for a reduced course load as designated by USCIS regulations.

If you are registered part-time for an upcoming fall or spring semester and none of the below criteria apply, you must submit the request for a reduced course load . 

If you are currently registered full-time in a fall or spring semester and you wish to withdraw a course that would leave you part-time, you must have the reduced course load approved by our office before withdrawing from the course. Please do not drop below a full course load without consulting with ISSS!

Full time Enrollment Requirements:

Reduced Course Load Criteria:

Students in these situations must have their academic advisors complete and submit to this office the "Request for a Reduced Course Load" form. Such students are required to be registered full-time before they apply for a reduced course load. Submission of the form does not guarantee approval of the request.

Please note that financial restrictions are not a valid reason for part-time status. If you are experiencing a financial need due to unforeseen circumstances, you may be eligible for "Employment due to urgent, unforeseen circumstances" (this is a type of employment authorization that allows you to work anywhere off campus). Working may alleviate your financial strain but you will still be required to be a full-time student.