TCALC students are allowed to work on campus during their program. TCALC students are not allowed to work off campus. If a TCALC student works off campus, the student will lose their F-1 status.
ON-CAMPUS EMPLOYMENT RULES:
- You may work at an on-campus job as soon as you arrive to TCALC (no earlier than 30 days before your program begins). You must stop working at any on-campus job when you complete your studies in TCALC.
- You must continue to attend all of your scheduled TCALC classes. You cannot skip classes to go to work.
- The job is considered "on campus" if the work is located in a Temple University building and provides services to Temple University students
(If you find a job and are not sure if it is considered "on campus," please check with the ISSS office before accepting the job.)
- Jobs at stores and restaurants: please see a list of Temple's stores and restaurants here.
- Student Worker job: This is a job that only Temple students can do. These jobs are located at various offices at Temple. The work usually involves being an office assistant; however, there are also student worker jobs at the Tech Center, libraries, gyms, and computer labs on campus.
- You cannot work more than 20 hours per week while you are taking classes.
HOW TO APPLY:
- Student Worker Positions
For all Temple University student worker positions you must apply online.
Note: Do not apply for any positions that are for "work-study". Work Study is federally funded financial aid for which international students in F-1 or J-1 status are not eligible.
- Social Security Number
When you are offered an on-campus job, you will need to apply for a social security number before you can receive payment for the job (unless you already have a social security number). You are only able to have a social security number if you are working in the U.S.
To apply for the social security number, you must do the following.
- Ask your employer to give you a social security letter. Please ask your employer to use the following letter template: Social Security Letter Template
- After your employer prints and signs the letter, you must bring the letter to the ISSS office for a signature at the bottom of the letter.
- You must then take the following documents with you to the Social Security Administration to apply:
- Most recent I-20/DS-2019
- I-94 (you can find this online)
- Valid passport
- F-1 or J-1 visa
- The signed Social Security letter
Below is the address and contact information for the Social Security Administration:
U.S. Social Security Administration:
2 Penn Ctr Ste 2000A
1500 JFK Blvd 20th fl
Philadelphia, PA 19102
Phone number: 1-800-772-1213
Hours: Monday through Friday, 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.