J-1 status is not appropriate if the scholar will:
- Engage in any position that does not require the minimum of a Bachelor’s degree
- Hold tenure-track or tenured faculty appointments
- Enter the US to participate in a medical residency program or engage in clinical activities (click here for more info)
- Pass through the formal recruitment and hiring process with Temple University’s HR Dept; Nonimmigrant Worker (H-1B) status is appropriate for such cases
- Pursue US Permanent Residency (Green Card)
New J-1 Exchange Visitors with a program start date on or after July 1, 2023, may participate remotely no more than 40% of their program (e.g., two out of five days per week). Exchange Visitors in active status on or before June 30, 2023, may continue hybrid programs up to December 31, 2023. As of January 1, 2024, all J-1 Exchange Visitors may participate remotely no more than 40% of their program.