Return to Temple University after a Leave of Absence:

  1. If you are an undergraduate student, complete the Request to Re-Enroll
  2. Contact your academic department about re-admission/re-enrollment. ISSS cannot issue an I-20 until the office has confirmation from your academic department that you are able to resume the full-time degree seeking program.
  3. If your gap in studies was over 5 months, you'll need to apply for a new I-20. If your gap in studies was less than 5 months, ISSS may be able to reactivate your previous SEVIS record, please submit the online request if your gap in studies was less than 5 months.
  4. If you need to apply for a new I-20, navigate to the application form. You will need to upload new (less than one year old) financial documentation. A breakdown of fees is contained in the application
  5. When ISSS sends you the new I-20, you will need to either pay the SEVIS fee again OR request to transfer your original SEVIS fee payment to your new SEVIS record.
  6. To pay the SEVIS fee or request to transfer the SEVIS payment, please visit:
    If requesting to transfer the SEVIS payment, you will need to enter the original SEVIS ID you have already paid the fee for on the first screen and your new SEVIS ID on the second screen.
    *Please note, the request to transfer the SEVIS fee does not guarantee you will not need to pay the SEVIS fee again. After applying for the transfer of payment, you will be notified if it is approved or not.
  7. Apply for a new entry visa and/or contact your local U.S. Embassy or Consulate for details if your previous F-1 visa is expired (if your previous F-1 visa is still valid you do not need to apply for a new visa).
  8. Do not attempt to enter the U.S. before the "EARLIEST ADMISSION DATE" listed on your form I-20. 
  9. As soon as you re-enter the U.S., you must check in with ISSS. You should be prepared to upload a copy of your I-94. ISSS will need to register your SEVIS record.
  10. Since you will be re-entering the U.S. with an "initial" I-20, you are not allowed to be employed off-campus until you have maintained student status for one academic year.