"On-campus employment" is a type of employment authorization that international students in J-1 status are automatically granted upon beginning their program of study and can continue doing until they complete their program of study. For examples of on-campus employment and how to apply, click here.

If at any point during your program you have "lost" your J-1 status, you are not eligible to resume on campus employment until you have regained J-1 status.

On-campus work is limited to 20 hours per week while school is in session. There are NO exceptions to this rule. Such employment may be full-time during vacation periods for students who are eligible and intend to register for the subsequent academic term. 

Please note, if you do not yet have a Social Security Number (SSN), you will be required to apply for it once you are offered on-campus employment.

When a student completes their program of study they are not eligible to work on-campus unless:

  1. The student has a different type of employment authorization. In most cases, this will be Academic Training.
  2. The student has been admitted to pursue a new degree at Temple University to start in the next available semester (Ex: Completing a Bachelor's degree in the Spring semester and beginning a Master's degree in the Fall semester).
  3. The student is admitted to a different university, to begin the next available semester, and will transfer their J-1 SEVIS to the new university.