How to Transfer Immigration Sponsorship to Temple University
Steps for F-1 Visa Holders:
- First you must be officially admitted to Temple University or the Intensive English Language Program
- Apply for an I-20 from Temple University.
- Contact the International Student Advisor at your current school. Ask to have your SEVIS record released to Temple University.
- Temple's SEVIS School Code is PHI214F00504000
- For the Dental, Pharmacy or Medical School, use code PHI214F00504002
- For the Podiatry School, use code PHI214F00504003
- Follow any instructions you are given to request that your SEVIS record be transferred to Temple University.
- If your school requires a "transfer recommendation form" to release your SEVIS record to Temple University. You may download it Here.
- You and the international student advisor should decide on the release date of your SEVIS record. You should consider:
- Whether or not you want to work on their campus during the summer
- Whether or not you are authorized for OPT
- Whether or not you are authorized for CPT
- Whether or not you want to travel during the summer
- Your I-20 will be emailed to you once ISSS has a complete application and the SEVIS release date has passed.
Steps for New F-1 Visa Holders Abroad with an I-20 From Another School:
Occasionally, an F-1 International Student will apply to multiple schools while abroad, get an I-20 from one school, but then decide to go to a different school before entering the US. The "instructions to students" on page 3 of Form I-20 give the following guidance on the relationship of the school name on the F-1 visa to the student's initial entry to the United States using that visa:
REPORT TO SCHOOL NAMED ON YOUR FORM I-20 AND VISA. Upon your first entry to the United States, you must report to the DSO at the school named on your Form I-20 and your F-1 visa (unless you are exempt from visa requirements). If you decide to attend another school before you enter the United States, you must present a Form I-20 from the new school to a U.S. consular officer for a new F-1 visa that names the new school. Failure to enroll in the school, by the program start date on your Form I-20 may result in the loss of your student status and subject you to deportation.
Therefore, if you are in this situation, you will need to request a Form I-20 from Temple. If you have already paid the SEVIS fee, you can request to have the fee transferred from the old I-20 to the new I-20.
Steps for Individuals in J-1 status
- If you currently hold J-1 Exchange visitor status, you must request that your SEVIS record be transferred before the expiration date of your current form DS-2019. the SEVIS record will turn to an "inactive" status the day after your current form DS-2019 expires.
- Contact your current school to see what steps you must take on their end to have your SEVIS record transferred to Temple University. Temple University's program number is P-1-02592
If you travel, you will have to obtain a new entry visa. Note that under Department of State policy, an exchange visitor who travels after transferring J programs needs a new J visa before returning to the United States under the sponsorship of the new program.
- You must qualify for a form DS-2019 from Temple University within 30 days of the SEVIS Effective Date of Transfer set by your previous school.