Although it is usually best to apply for a visa at a U.S. Consulate or Embassy in your home country, it may be possible for you to travel to Canada or Mexico to obtain a visa in your passport, if you are a citizen of a third country. As information is subject to change, we advise you to check for updated information at the State Department's Website.


Who Can Be Issued a Visa at a U.S. Consulate Border Post?

Not everyone is eligible to apply for a visa at a Consulate in a third country. You are only eligible to do so if you have never been out of status in the U.S. because you overstayed the terms of your visa. If you remained in the U.S. longer than the period authorized (as indicated on your Form I-94), you are required to apply for a new visa in your country of nationality. If you are not certain whether you have violated your immigration status, please check with ISSS.

You should also be aware that you may be more likely to encounter some difficulties at the time of your visa interview when you apply outside your home country. Consular Officers are instructed to deny your visa application if they have reason to believe they cannot properly adjudicate your case. Some of the reasons you might be denied a visa include suspicion of fraud, insufficient knowledge of local conditions in your home country, unfamiliarity with documents from your home country, or, if you are a student or an exchange visitor, failure to provide sufficient evidence that you will return to your home country at the end of your stay in the U.S.

Most importantly, if you apply for an F-1 or J-1 entry visa, you cannot return to the U.S. until your visa is issued. If the visa is denied, you will not be able to return to the U.S. as a student. Visit the U.S. Visa Service, which provides appointments for consulates in Canada, and the Consulate of the United States to apply for a visa in Tijuana, Mexico.