Most nonimmigrants in lawful status may apply for a driver's license or State ID card. Even if you don't plan on driving in the US, it is recommended that you apply for a State Identification Card. This way, you can leave your passport safely at home, and just carry the State ID. 

Individuals who possess a valid foreign driver's license from their country are authorized to drive in Pennsylvania for up to one year from their date of entry into the United States, or upon expiration of their foreign license, whichever comes first. International driving permits are strongly recommended, but not required.

Below you can find the steps to apply, and the necessary supporting documents required to verify legal presence in the United States.