International students are permitted to work on-campus during their academic program without prior work authorization. In addition to on-campus employment, there are four types of off-campus employment for which international students in F-1 status may be eligible (CPT, OPT, Employment Due to Economic Hardship, and Employment Under the Sponsorship of a Qualifying International Organization). Please review more information at the links below.

You may not begin any type of off-campus employment until you have authorization (from ISSS and/or USCIS) to do so. This includes any orientations, training, etc. in which you may be required to engage.

If you are authorized to work, you will need a Social Security Number. If you do not currently have a Social Security Number, you can apply for one.

Types of Employment