J-1 Student Academic Training - Information and Academic Training Application

J-1 academic training is designed to allow J-1 students the opportunity to apply knowledge gained in the classroom to a practical work experience off campus. It is available before completion of your program of study as well as afterwards. As long as you stay within the stipulated time limits, it lets you work part-time while classes are in session and full-time during vacation periods. J-1 students in non-degree programs are eligible for Academic Training.


  • Your primary purpose in the United States must be study rather than Academic Training until you complete your program of study.
  • You must be in good academic standing at the school named on your Form DS-2019.
  • The proposed employment must be directly related to your major field of study.
  • Throughout your AT you must maintain permission to stay in the United States, in J-1 student status, and apply for extensions of your DS-2019 as necessary.
  • You must maintain health insurance coverage for yourself and any J-2 dependents throughout your AT.


  • You must first obtain approval from our office. The approval will come in the form of an updated DS-2019. We must evaluate the proposed employment in terms of your program of study and your individual circumstances, and then decide whether it would be appropriate or not.
  • If your DS-2019 was not issued by Temple University, you may not apply for academic training through International Student and Scholar Services. Contact the organization that issued you your DS-2019. 
  • Employment may be authorized for the length of time necessary to complete the goals and objectives of the training, provided that the amount of time is approved by [both] the academic dean or advisor and our office
  • Academic Training may not exceed "the period of full course of study" or 18 months, whichever is shorter. However, if you receive a Ph.D., your "post-doctoral training" may last as long as 36 months. Additional Academic Training, beyond the 18- or 36- month limit is allowed only if it is required for the degree.
  • Part-time employment for Academic Training counts against the 18- or 36-month limit the same as full-time employment.
  • Earning more than one degree does not increase your eligibility for Academic Training. Additionally, the US Department of State has issued a policy stating that if a student completes a program of study and then engages in Academic Training, that student may not go on to pursue another degree in J-1 Exchange Visitor status. A student may, however, complete an undergraduate degree, go on to pursue a graduate degree and then do academic training.


1. Student completes undergraduate degree and engages in eighteen months of academic training. This student may not go on to graduate studies without changing his/her visa status. S/he must apply for a change of non-immigrant visa classification. Student may not change his/her visa status if s/he is subject to the two-year home residency requirement.

2. Student completes undergraduate degree. Student applies for and is admitted to a graduate program in the same field of study. S/he may continue in J-1 Exchange Visitor status and then apply for academic training.

  • Academic Training approved after completion of your program must be reduced by any prior periods of Academic Training.
  • Academic Training following completion of your program of study must involve paid employment.
  • You must obtain a written offer of appropriate employment and present a copy to your J-1 Responsible Officer no later than 30 days after the end of your program, or you will lose eligibility for Academic Training after completion.
  • Your employment must be authorized within 30 days of completing your program. Usually, you must begin work within those 30 days. However, some students in special situations may begin "within a time frame that reflects the realities of the work place". An example is a student who completes a program in May, but is offered a teaching position that does not begin until September 1, will be eligible to begin his/her employment in September provided that:
    • S/he makes the application for academic training within 30 days of completing the program.
    • S/he realizes that s/he will lose three months of the time allowed for Academic Training.
  • If you plan to leave the United States after you complete your program of study and reenter the country for J-1 Academic Training, you must obtain employment authorization before you leave.
  • It is your responsibility to ensure that your DS-2019 does not expire while you are engaged in Academic Training.

Employment without proper authorization is a serious violation of your status. Remember that before you start any kind of employment, you must first consult your J-1 Responsible Officer, whose written approval is necessary in advance.