J-1 status is not appropriate if the scholar will:

  • Engage in any position that does not require the minimum of a Bachelor’s degree
  • Hold tenure-track or tenured faculty appointments
  • Enter the US to participate in a medical residency program or engage in clinical activities (click here for more info)
  • Pass through the formal recruitment and hiring process with Temple University’s HR Dept; Nonimmigrant Worker (H-1B) status is appropriate for such cases
  • Pursue US Permanent Residency (Green Card)

J-1 Exchange Visitors must have one of the following if they wish to change to H-1B status:

  • Advisory Opinion stating that they are not subject to the 2 Year Home Residency Requirement
  • A Waiver Recommendation from the US Department of State / Form I-612 Approval Notice from USCIS 
  • Documents proving they fulfilled 24 months residency requirement in country of permanent residence upon completion of most recent J program