H-1B or E-3 Status: Temple University is required to provide documentation showing that the applicant is fully qualified to work in the specialty occupation for which we are submitting a petition. This includes, among other materials, a formal credentials evaluation of the applicant’s foreign degrees. 

 TN Status: Degrees received by the applicant from an educational institution not located within Canada, Mexico, or the US must be accompanied by an evaluation by a credentials evaluation service. Some TN employees without a Credentials Evaluation have encountered difficulty at the US Border even when their degree is from a Mexican / Canadian institution.

Therefore, consistent with University Counsel guidance and U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Service regulations, an H-1B or E-3 applicant (and some TN applicants) whose highest degree is from an institution outside of the United States is required to submit an official credentials evaluation of their degree (s) from one of the accredited agencies listed below with their Petition/Application:

The regulations specify 4 ways that a petitioner can establish that the beneficiary has the required educational background to perform services in an H-1B specialty occupation:

 (C) Beneficiary qualifications. To qualify to perform services in a specialty occupation, the alien must meet one of the following criteria:

(1) Hold a United States baccalaureate or higher degree required by the specialty occupation from an accredited college or university;

(2) Hold a foreign degree determined to be equivalent to a United States baccalaureate or higher degree required by the specialty occupation from an accredited college or university;

(3) Hold an unrestricted State license, registration or certification which authorizes him or her to fully practice the specialty occupation and be immediately engaged in that specialty in the state of intended employment; or

(4) Have education, specialized training, and/or progressively responsible experience that is equivalent to completion of a United States baccalaureate or higher degree in the specialty occupation, and have recognition of expertise in the specialty through progressively responsible positions directly related to the specialty.

There are several ways to determine if the alien's education is equivalent to the required U.S. college degree:

  • Evaluation by an official at a college or university who can grant college-level credit for training or experience at an accredited college or university which has a program for granting credit based on an individual's training or work experience;
  • Results of college-level equivalency examinations such as the College Level Examination Program (CLEP), or Program on Noncollegiate Sponsored Instruction (PONSI);
  • Evaluation by a reliable credentials evaluation service;
  • Certification or registration from a professional association;
  • To show equivalency to a bachelor's degree through a combination of education, training and experience, documentation of three years of progressive experience for each year of formal education the alien lacks. To show equivalency to a master's degree, the alien must show he or she has a bachelor's degree plus at least 5 years of progressively responsible experience in the specialty. Experiential equivalency to a doctoral degree is not possible; if a doctoral degree is required, the alien must possess it.