Federal regulations require that employment terminate at the conclusion of the authorized practical or academic training. However, students on an F-1 visa, or students on a J-1 visa who are not subject to a two­ year home residency requirement, may continue to be employed, if they receive approval for a change in visa category. The Hiring Department may wish to submit an H-1B Temporary Worker or  J-1 Exchange Visitor application for the employee. Students must have a minimum of a bachelor's degree in order to qualify for either status. Departments should begin preparing an H-1B or J-1 Scholar application approximately six months prior to the end date on the EAD if employment is likely to extend beyond the practical training period. See page for H-1B Specialty Occupation employees and J-1 Exchange Visitors (Scholars)  for more information.