The U.S. Department of State (DOS) and the U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS) have increased the level of review that international visitors face at U.S. Embassies and Consulates abroad, at airports, and at border crossing posts with Canada and Mexico. Ultimately, each individual must decide for him or herself whether or not to travel abroad.

Entry Visa

If your entry student entry visa has expired or will have expired before you re-enter the US, you must apply for a new entry visa at a U.S. Embassy or Consulate unless you are from a visa-exempt country. Please be sure to review the F1 or J1 student entry visa in your passport so you're sure of its expiration date.

Citizens of Canada and Bermuda do not require visas to enter the United States as students, although they must present a valid Form I-20 at the time of admission. For more information, please see: Citizens of Canada and Bermuda

Automatic Visa Revalidation

If you travel to Canada, Mexico or an adjacent island, you may reenter the U.S with out a valid F-1 entry visa, as long as your stay outside the U.S. does not exceed 30 days.

Please review the information regarding Automatic Visa Revalidation if you will reenter the US from Canada, Mexico and some Adjacent Islands to see if this rule applies to you. Contact the Canadian/Mexican Embassy in New York or Washington, D.C. to learn if you need a visa to enter Canada or Mexico. No U.S. entry visa can be renewed in the United States; rather, you will need to schedule an appointment at a US Embassy or Consulate abroad.

Below please find information that may be relevant to your travel plans: