Applying for a Driver's License or State Identification Card

  • Read about the process at the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) here.
  • If you have a license from your home country, you can use that to drive in the U.S. for up to one year. 
  • Please note that several states, including PA, require that a nonimmigrant have at least six months remaining on your qualifying immigration document to be eligible for a license. 
  • Visit a Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) Office:
  • A DMV Official will verify your information in the Department of Homeland Security’s SAVE System


What do you need in order to apply?


What qualifies as proof of PA Residency?

  • Tax records
  • Lease agreements
  • Mortgage documents
  • W-2 Form
  • Current weapons permit
  • Current utility bills (water, gas, electric, cable, etc.)

Note – For Current Utility Bills: Cellular/Mobile or Pager Bills are not acceptable. If you reside with someone, and have no bills in your name, you will be required to bring the person you reside with along with their driver’s license or ID card, to a Driver License Center.


All documents must show the same name and/or date of birth, or an association between the information on the documents. Additional documentation may be required if a connection between documents cannot be established (e.g. Marriage Certificate, Court Order of name change, Divorce Decree, etc.).