Please Note:

  • ISSS does not process petitions for part-time faculty positions
  • ISSS may take up to 45 days to complete the processing of the materials for this petition so the department should submit a complete application to ISSS no later than two months prior to the requested E-3 start date
  • Missing information will cause delays in processing this application

E-3 employer must pay its E-3 worker(s) at least the “required” wage which is the higher of the prevailing wage or the employer’s actual wage (in-house wage) for similarly employed workers. The NIH guidelines are considered the in-house wage for Postdoctoral Fellow Research Associates. The Prevailing Wage - the weighted average of wages paid to similarly employed workers in the occupational classification in the geographic area of employment- is established by the US Department of Labor and is often significantly higher than the NIH guidelines. A petition for E-3 status cannot be processed unless Temple University is paying the higher of the two wages.

Make certain that all copies are LEGIBLE

Items Hiring Department Must Upload in International Scholar Dossier (ISD):

  • TU Appointment / Employment Offer Letter / Contract (unless position is HR-hire) that is signed by appropriate TU Official (Post Doc Office will send ISSS the approved version of department's Post Doc letter)
  • Copy of Job Description
  • Actual Wage Documentation (unless position is HR-Hire)

Items Needed From Human Resources if Department Is Hiring Through HR:

Items E-3 Applicant Must Upload in International Scholar Dossier (ISD):

  • Copies of beneficiary’s Valid Passport (photo page, US entry stamps, visa stamps, renewal pages)
  • Copy of beneficiary’s most recent I-94 if inside the US
  • Certificate of Authenticity of Attached Documents
  • Current CV
  • Copy of any license needed for this position
  • Copies of 3 most recent paychecks to establish current employment in the US ONLY
  • English-language translations of all diplomas
  • English-language transcripts for all diplomas
  • Academic Credentials Evaluation
  • Copies of all I-20 / DS-2019 Forms and EAD cards
  • For applicants who hold or have ever held J status, submit 1) Proof that the J-1 Two Year Home Residency Requirement was Fulfilled By Spending 2 Years in Country of Residence, 2) An Advisory Opinion issued from the US Department of State in the past six months declaring that H-1B Applicant is not subject; 3) a Waiver Recommendation from the US Dept of State or Form I-612 from USCIS or 4) a statement signed by E-3 applicant indicating that you are aware you are subject to the Home Residency Requirement and that you understand you must travel outside the US to obtain an E-3 visa stamp (no Change of Status in the US permitted)
  • Copies of USCIS Receipt/Approval Notices ( I-140, I-485, I-539, etc)
  • Copy of PERM if TU-Sponsored for Green Card
  •  For clinical employment only - Be prepared to produce USMLE Score Reports, Steps 1, 2 and 3 and ECFMG Certification (if Graduate of Foreign Medical Institution) if required by a US Governmental Agency

Items Needed for Dependents Who Are Currently in the US if E-3 petition will be filed in the US:

  • Check for $290 made payable to USCIS    
  • Original Form I-539  (should be completed and signed by dependent, not H-1B Applicant)
  • Copy of Marriage Certificate
  • Copy of Birth Certificates for Children  
  • Copies of dependents’ immigration documents (Valid Passport photo page, US entry stamps, visa stamps, renewal pages only, Forms I-20 / DS-2019, etc)

Dependents outside the US: All dependents who plan to enter the US in H-4 status must apply for an  E-3 visa stamp at a US Consulate outside the US.  Please visit the Consulate’s website for items needed to apply for the E-3 Dependent visa. Do not complete a Form I-539 for Dependents who are not currently holding a nonimmigrant status (i.e.H-4, J-2, F-2) in the US.  

Dependents holding Valid E-3 status or another Valid Nonimmigrant status in the US:  

  • All dependents of the applicant who are already in the US and need to extend E-3 status or change status to E-3 must complete and sign a Form I-539 available online 
  • The fee for Form I-539 is $290, regardless of the number of applicants
  • If more than one Dependent of the H-1B applicant is applying for E-3 status, the eldest dependent (usually the spouse) should complete and sign the application and the additional dependents should be listed on Supplement-1. If all Dependents applying for E-3 status are minors (under the age of 18 years), the oldest child should sign the I-539 in Part 5 if s/he is 14 years old or older.  If the dependent filing the form is younger than 14 years old, the applicant should sign Part 5 AND Part 7, Signature of person preparing form, if other than above, indicating “Parent of Minor”.  

Dependent spouses in E-3 status are eligible to work and may study full or part time. E-3 spouses should contact ISSS for information on work authorization from USCIS. Dependent children in E-3 status may not work but may study full or part time. Children who are 21 years of age and older are NOT eligible for E-3 status.