Dependents outside the US: All dependents who plan to enter the US in H-4 status must apply for an  H-4 visa stamp at a US Consulate outside the US.  Please visit the Consulate’s website at for items needed to apply for the H4 visa.  Do not complete a Form I-539 for Dependents who are not currently holding a non-immigrant status (i.e.H-4, J-2, F-2) in the US.  

Dependents holding Valid H-4 status or another Valid Non-Immigrant status in the US:

  • Check for $370 made payable to US Department of Homeland Security    
  • An $85 biometric services fee for every applicant and co-applicant (Separate check from $370) made payable to US Department of Homeland Security
  • Form I-539 completed and signed by dependent, not H-1B Applicant
  • Form I-539A: Every co-applicant included on the primary applicant’s Form I-539 must submit and sign a separate Form I-539A. Parents or guardians may sign on behalf of children under 14 or any co-applicant who is not mentally competent to sign.
  • Copy of Marriage Certificate
  • Copy of Birth Certificates for Children  
  • Copies of dependents’ immigration documents (Valid Passport photo page, US entry stamps, visa stamps, renewal pages only, Forms I-20 / DS-2019, etc)

Every applicant and co-applicant will receive a biometric services appointment notice, regardless of age, containing their individual receipt number. The biometric services appointments will be scheduled at the Application Support Center (ASC) closest to the primary applicant’s address. Co-applicants who wish to be scheduled at a different ASC location should file a separate Form I-539.

All dependents of the applicant who are already in the US and need to extend H-4 status or change status to H4 must complete and sign a Form I-539.The application fee for the I-539 is $370, regardless of the number of applicants, but this does not include the $85 biometric fee for each applicant/co-applicant.

Use the following guidelines when you prepare your checks or money orders for the Form I-539 filing fee and biometric services fee:

  • The checks or money orders must be drawn on a bank or other financial institution located in the United States and must be payable in U.S. currency; and
  • Make the checks or money orders payable to U.S. Department of Homeland Security.


NOTE: Spell out U.S. Department of Homeland Security; do not use the initials “USDHS” or “DHS.”

If more than one Dependent of the H-1B applicant is applying for H-4 status, the eldest dependent (usually the spouse) should complete and sign the application and the additional dependents should be listed on Supplement-1. If all Dependents applying for H-4 status are minors (under the age of 18 years), the oldest child should sign the I-539 in Part 5 if s/he is 14 years old or older.  If the dependent filing the form is younger than 14 years old, the applicant should sign Part 5 AND Part 7, Signature of person preparing form, if other than above, indicating “Parent of Minor”.  

Dependent family members in H-4 status are NOT eligible to work but may study full or part time. Children who are 21 years of age and older are NOT eligible for H-4 status.