Applying for a Driver's License or State Identification Card

  • You can drive for up to a year using a valid driver's license from your home country. 
  • Several states, including PA, require nonimmigrants to have at least six months remaining on your qualifying immigration document to be eligible for a license. 
  • You will need to get a physical exam from a healthcare professional. Students can schedule a physical at Student Health Services
  • A DMV Official will verify your information in the Department of Homeland Security’s SAVE System

Items needed for Driver's License

  • Valid Passport 
  • Valid US Immigration Visa Stamp (except Canadian nationals)
  • I-94
  • Two Documents to Prove PA Residency (Tax records, Lease agreements, Mortgage documents, W-2 Form, Current weapons permit, Current utility bills such aswater, gas, electric, cable, etc.) See below for more information.
  • Original I-20 (if you are an F-1 student), DS-2019 (if you are a J Exchange Visitor), OR Original I-797 (if you are on H-1B or O-1 status)
  • Social Security Card (SSN), receipt notice, or Social Security Rejection Letter. If you do not qualify for a Social Security Number (are not authorized to work in the US and/or do not have a job in the US) then you need to visit the Social Security Administration Office, show them your I-94, I-20, passport and F-1 Visa, and explain that you do not qualify for a SSN. They should give you a "Social Security rejection letter." See more about SS#s below.

Note – For Current Utility Bills: Cellular/Mobile or Pager Bills are not acceptable. If you reside with someone, and have no bills in your name, you will be required to bring the person you reside with along with their driver’s license or ID card, to a Driver License Center. All documents must show the same name and/or date of birth, or an association between the information on the documents. Additional documentation may be required if a connection between documents cannot be established (e.g. Marriage Certificate, Court Order of name change, Divorce Decree, etc.).